Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Confused about Gaza

I have spent the past 10 days or so, and prior to that many months and weeks, wondering about the love of Israel.

I have always been confused with America's 'love' of Israel, in the debate between Joe Biden and Sarah Palin, Ms. Palin referred to being excited that Mr. Biden "also loved Israel"...the below clip is not that comment, but an indication of how the American political system seems unable to have it's own thought process about Israel



That has always confused me, and the current situation is confusing to me as well. Firstly let me say that I don't think Hamas is right, in fact I think their rocket attacks a dam well wrong...I guess my difference with most is that I don't think Israel is 100% right either. It seems that if you have an opinion that does not equate to 100% uneqivocal agreement with the style and tactics of what Israel is doing, you are anti-Semitic. Let me show you what I mean, this is an email that came in at the end of talkback where my premise was, "I don't understand and I think both sides are as mad as March hares"

From: jennifer baxter [baxjenbax@gmail.com]
Sent: Mon 5/01/2009 23:40 p.m.
To:
Pat Brittenden
Subject: antisemitism
hello Pat. You need to watch it mate. Your anti semitism is very clear and I think you probably are also a Nazi sympathizer.
Many of your callers are as ignorant and misinformed as you are. Your show is pathetic and racist.
sincerly, Jen.


I have spent some of today trying to figure out why asking the question makes so many people irate and angry, and I think I've come to my own conclusion.

What is irking me about the situation is that it feel like no one has any concern, no one cares that innocent lives are being taken, that's about where I am at. Not saying Israel is wrong, Hamas is right or vice-versa, it seems that the under lying feeling is that "What else is Israel to do?" along with "Palestinians brought it on themselves", where the truth is probably that some Palestinians are fighting the war, and others are caught in the crossfire and being killed.

I feel for what the media describe as 'collateral damage'

No comments:

Post a Comment